Monday, April 8, 2013

Giving Myself Away

Growing older in Christian maturity definitely has its advantages. It makes you to be free from the underbrush of situations, and handing decisions over to God has really made me free.
I have a friend back in Michigan who, after a decades long strugglle, and six years of dialysis, received a kidney transplant last week. An older and highly educated man, he accepted his fate with his usual droll and dry sense of humor. After each setback, each painful death defying episode, he would bounce back with a kind word and a twinkle in his eye, despite the pain and the ever decreasing possibility that he would live long enough to get a kidney.
But God had a plan to restore him, just as he restored King Hezekiah in Is 38.
What gift do you send a person whom God has given another chance at life? Flowers? A card?
No. A still, small voice told me to send him a letter every day for a month.
Hand written letters have gone by the way of the dinosaurs, white gloves and tea parties. Who has the time in the 21st century to actually put pen to paper and write? And then, to actually back an envelope, add a stamp, and send that letter via snail mail?
I do. I'm going to do my part to bring back the personal, intimate way of communicating with another human being. What will I write about? My God, that won't be a problem. I can be chatty Cathy when it comes to writing. My prayer is that each letter will be received with a smile and anticipation of receiving good news from Florida.

No comments:

Post a Comment